METAL PULP AND PAPER: Hello Sharone. So glad to be catching up with you. Thank you for taking the time to speak with us here at Metal Pulp And Paper. We appreciate it.
SHARONE BORIK: I’m doing well! Great to talk with you again.
MPAP: Now give us a little run down about your band and what we need to know, and especially tell us if you have any new music coming out or any tour announcements you can share here?
SHARONE: My new album Reflection is coming out December 7th and I couldn’t be more excited to share it with you. I released the first single from the album back in April. "Cold" is out now on most streaming sites as well as a music video on Youtube. I’m releasing another single from the album this month, so stay tuned.
MPAP: Very nice. So, we’re going to change up this interview and do something different. I’m going to pull some recent headlines from the Metal Injection website and get your reactions and comments on them. Here we go:
1. Celtic Frost Frontman Wishes Metallica Had Left 'Their Millionaire Fingers' Off His Song
MPAP: So, at a recent Metallica show in Switzerland, Kirk and Rob played one of Celtic Frost’s song "The Usurper" during a break in the show. According to Tom Warrior, vocalist for Celtic Frost, the two of them butchered it. He said, 'Maybe I should go onstage and do a really miserable version of [Metallica’s] "Hit the Lights" with, like, 200 mistakes to set the balance.'What do you think about this? If someone was going to cover one of your songs, do you think it should be done in good taste and without any mistakes, or it’s Metallica, and they can do whatever they want, it's no big deal?
SHARONE: I’ve always said that when someone makes a parody of one of your songs, you’ve made it. I honestly would love to hear a joke version of one of my songs one day. 2. A Fan Died In The Slipknot Mosh Pit This Weekend MPAP: Very sad. So, apparently, a 62-year-old Slipknot fan died while in the mosh pit at a Chicago show here in the United States. Corey Taylor had recently stopped a previous show because he saw the mosh pit was getting too violent. Accidents do happen, but do you think mosh pits at metal shows are becoming more dangerous?
SHARONE: I think it all depends on the show. I’ve seen some mosh pits that are exactly what they should be, and I’ve seen others where security has had to get involved and throw people out of the venue. That should never be the case. I’m all for getting into the music and letting some aggression out, but it ruins the purpose when you’re having to leave the show for taking it too far.
3.Slayer Pulled As Primary Sponsor Of NASCAR Due To Complaints From Other Sponsors MPAP: Really? C’mon., it’s just a band name. It’s not like Satan himself will be driving the car, right?
SHARONE: I’d honestly be disappointed if Satan’s not driving the car. Satan take the wheel, right?
4. Maynard Got Death Threats Over How Long The Tool Album Took MPAP: Talk about some diehard fans. I think that is going a bit too far, even if you’ve been waiting 13 years, right?
SHARONE: Let an artist take their time, damn. Don’t rush art. You’ll get it sooner maybe, but it won’t be as incredible as it would have been had you been patient!
5. Controversial Video Shows Rob Zombie Grabbing A Female Fan By The Hair After Being Groped MPAP: His shirt was pulled, but, nevertheless. I guess during a show Rob went out into the crowd, and an enthusastic fan reached out and pulled on his shirt. After this headline was posted, quite a few bands like Shinedown, All That Remains, and Bad Wolves defended Rob’s actions. What are your thoughts, do fans need to keep their hands to themselves?
SHARONE: Yeah maybe grabbing her by the hair wasn’t the appropriate reaction; there are better ways to handle that. Regardless, it’s not right what the fan did. Personal space, man. I’ve had a fan ask me for a hug and when I gave them one they kissed me on the cheek. Not cool. Have we learned nothing from Katy Perry? 6.Behemoth Frontman Confronted At YMCA For Wearing Darkthrone Shirt & Kicked Out Not Believing In Jesus MPAP: It was just a shirt, and he was going there to workout. It wasn’t like he was going to sacrifice some virgins and spill blood everywhere. What do you think?
SHARONE: I’d like to think he was going in there to sacrifice virgins and spill blood everywhere...
7. Former Weedeater Drummer Arrested For Allegedly Spiking Wife’s Drink With Meth MPAP: Umm, this doesn’t look like they have a very good marriage going on for this to have happened. Do you think they need some marriage counseling or what?
SHARONE: Yeah, they have some issues they need to work out.
8. Walmart Shoppers Call The Cops On Metal Band for… Sitting In A Van Parking Lot MPAP: This happened right after the tragic Dayton, Ohio shooting where ten people were killed, including the shooter, and 27 others were injured. The gunman just happened to be a metalhead because he was wearing a The Acacia Strain hoodie. It’s good that people report things, but this could turn out that every traveling metal band that’s parked in a Walmart parking lot are going to get reported now. What do you think?
SHARONE: I can appreciate acting on a concern such as this, but yeah, I wish that every metal band didn’t get accused of wanting to shoot up a Walmart by sleeping in their van in the parking lot.
9. People Are Going Wild For This Rant Tommy Lee Shared Against Donald Trump MPAP: The rant/tweet is quite a bit long, so I'm not going to torture you to read it, but I will say this: should musicians talk or write about politics? In a way, it’s like their forcing their beliefs down our throats. What are your thoughts?
SHARONE: I’m in support of musicians who stand up and speak out for what they believe in. 10. James Hetfield Calls Woman Who Used Metallica’s Music To Fend Off Cougar MPAP: A young lady, was out walking her dog when off in the distance a cougar began to stalk her. She eventually played a Metallica song on her phone to scare it away, and it worked. She definitely had luck and the power of music on her side, right? What song of yours do you think would scare off a hungry cougar?
SHARONE: My song "Zombie" off of Enchiridion Of Nightmares is meant for this.
11.While She Sleeps Release Free T-Shirt Design To Clue Fans Into How Much Streaming Doesn’t Pay MPAP: This is what the design said: One T-shirt is the equivalent to 5000 streams on Spotify. 76% of all music is streamed and not bought physically or digitally. Band merchandise is the most direct way of supporting a band. Sadly, buying music isn’t the same anymore.
SHARONE: Back in the day, it used to be fun to buy an actual album or CD, don’t you think? Streaming has changed the music industry a lot. Musicians used to make their money off of vinyl, CDs, etc. Nowadays, with free streaming being so easily accessible, fans are far less inclined to purchase physical music. Merchandise such as T-Shirts have become far easier to sell, which is sad, when your core product is music.
12. David Hasselhoff Teams Up With Ministry Frontman For "Sweet Caroline" Cover MPAP: All I can say is, this should be interesting. Hopefully, it’s not a train wreck for the Hoff. It's worth a listen to when it comes out though. What do you think of this collaboration? SHARONE: I’m on the edge of my seat for this. MPAP: What tv/movie actor would you like to cover a song with someday?
SHARONE: Jared Leto.
MPAP: On behalf of Metal Pulp And Paper, I’d like to thank you, Sharone, for taking the time to answer these headline questions. We look forward to what you do to finish out 2019 and beyond. Any last words for all your fans out there?
SHARONE: Thanks for having me back on Metal Pulp And Paper. It’s been fun. I can’t wait to share Reflection with you.